Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Acupuncture and Herbal Remedies

Last Thursday I took Burke to a holistic vet for a consultation. My hope is to reduce his cancer symptoms and any pain associated with the lymphoma. When the vet suggested acupuncture I was concerned about Burke's reaction, but she said that most dogs sleep after having the needles inserted. So I said okay and she put 16 needles into Burke from the crown of his head, down his spine, and on his hips.  To say the least, I was surprised to see him relax and fall into a deep sleep.  He slept (like a porcupine) for an hour, with the vet checking in on us throughout the treatment. My only regret was that I didn't take a picture. I had my phone but I was too mesmerized to take a picture and once all the needles were in she dimmed the lights in the room.  While he slept (and healed) I sat by his side and read my email. I also notice that he was more lively on Friday - coincidence or effect, I don't know, but it was a very positive experience and I am taking him again on Monday.

In addition to the acupuncture she prescribed herbal supplements and a diet high in protein and low and carbs - got that covered. The supplements he's taking are turmeric paste,  Immuplex  and Thymex to support his immune system and two herbal formulas. The first herbal formula is called Stasis Breaker and it's formulated to break blood stasis and reduce tumors. Wei Qi Booster also helps with boosting the immune system and inhibiting cell mutations and tumor growth. We started the supplements on Friday and the herbal formulas on Monday.  Today is Wednesday and I have not noticed an improvement in Burke's health.  His initial burst of energy after the acupuncture treatment faded within a day.


Today I am taking Burke to his regular vet.  I'm almost out of prednisone and I'm wondering if the dosage needs to be adjusted.  I also am wondering about painkillers. I have read that the lymphoma can cause pain as the disease progresses so I want to be prepared.  Burke has slowed down a bit this week. He’s still taking three walks a day but not quite as long because he seems to be tiring more quickly. His energy level may also be impacted by Hardy, our new 8-week old flatcoated retriever. Hardy kept all of us up and down the first night he came home so Burke and I are not getting our normal amount of rest.  Burke seems to enjoy the puppy at times (right now they are nose-to-nose sleeping) and other times he looks and acts irritated. He had to "teach" Hardy not to bite his tail or ears and not to drink from his water bowl or eat from his dish when he is drinking or eating. Burke also let Hardy know that all toys belong to Burke and can only be used with Burke's permission.  Hardy has only been with us since Saturday and things are settling down nicely. It's wonderful to watch Burke play with Hardy and see him sleeping comfortingly by Hardy's pen.


Burke (with Paul holding Hardy)

3 comments:

  1. holistics treatments are wonderful and take awhile to build up in his system, just like anything else. acupuncture is good as well glad u are using everything at your disposal they are so worth the effort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know Margaret - this is a new path for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any news on Burke Vicki. Have been thinking about you and wondering how he is.

    ReplyDelete